In the fall of 1952, the Historical Committee of the Arcadia Woman’s Club sponsored an organizational meeting with the intent to form a group that would help preserve the history of Arcadia. Six months later, policies and procedures began developing and in 1954, the Arcadia Historical Society became incorporated and received its non-profit status.
The Arcadia Historical Society seeks to educate, inform and involve the community in the preservation and celebration of the heritage of Arcadia, from its early indigenous occupation, throughout Elias J. “Lucky” Baldwin’s development of Rancho Santa Anita and into the modern era of those who continue to contribute to Arcadia’s current and future history.
Over the past sixty plus years, the Society has made many contributions to the community: Donations of furnishing for the Queen Anne Cottage at the Arboretum—1956 Save the Santa Anita Depot, its restoration and relocation to the Arboretum—1962-1970 Assembling a “Library of Slides” depicting Arcadia’s History for the National Bicentennial Year—1976 Operating the Arcadia Historical museum—1986-2001 Collaborating with the City of Arcadia to build the current Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage—2001 Positioning “History Lives Here” historical markers about the City and at Adams Pack Station Sponsoring the “Thoroughbred Racing Walk of Champions, a project featuring sidewalk plaques in Downtown Arcadia that is currently being expanded.